Thursday 20 November 2008

Team work and good old gossip.

This weekend I have the most interesting task so far. So interesting, that I am skipping a funeral I really should go to (biggest Ghanaian faux pas ever, but Virgo will represent me) and missing most of a birthday barbecue, but will probably make it back there for leftovers at least.

A friend who I'm doing some independent legal work for has asked me to run a team building day for his company on Saturday. Learning of my past as a Starbucks employee probably made him think I'm much more of a chirpy cheerleader than I actually am. But not being one to say no to a challenge, I have agreed and just spent the last two hours researching team building exercises. After discarding the ones that seemed too fluffy and cheesily American for a bunch of Ghanaian construction workers, I think I have a handful I can work with. Now, all I have to do is find all the tools and materials I'll need to make it happen...Where's a Woolworths (the UK, not SA version of it) or a Panduro Hobby when you need one?

Meanwhile, a Swedish blogger writes about her heavily pregnant friend who realised that her husband of about 8 months has been cheating with a woman from his office, a woman with a live-in boyfriend. Her revenge? Finding the mistress' Facebook page and sending a message to ALL her friends and her boyfriend with details of the sordid affair and photos to prove it. (She also dumped her husband). As much as I'm impressed by her strength and actions (her baby is due in a week), I can't help but feel her husband is getting away easily with his dignity intact, while the mistress will be shamed forever. After all, the most random people can be our Facebook friends.

Even more interesting, how would such a thing be dealt with in Ghana? The sentiments towards affairs seem...slightly more relaxed, I get the feeling some people would send a message back to the wife going "Ah, but you, why?", leaving her seeming as the one who has overreacted.

But most of all I wish I knew who these people were so I could get hold of that Facebook message and see exactly what she wrote and what the following reactions were. But that's just the scandalous gossip in me talking...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaah. Team building....those were the days....

Maya Mame said...

Any tips, Anon...

Need all the inspiration I can get!

The Author said...

Team building, huh? You never back down from a challenge, do you? May I have your research notes when you're done? ;-)

Maya Mame said...

Sure Nana Yaw, depending on the success of it all. Wish me luck!

posekyere said...

Hi Maya,

Team Building can be such fun!

Let it be something that touches all three parts of their beings:
the body, the mind, and the heart.
Something fun-filled yet gruelling, bonding yet requiring independence and something hearty but still brain-teasing.

Don't forget to blog about it, Please, Maya!

I hope you dish something that they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Maya Mame said...

Thanks for the inspiration, Posekyere.
Promise to blog about it when I get back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails