Tuesday 4 November 2008

Who will win?


It's getting so close now. The world is anxiously waiting. Has any other election gripped the world like this one? No matter who wins, history will be made. Will America see its first female Vice President (tofi akwa!) or its first African-American president? That brings me to another issue that's been on my mind for a while: is anyone outside of America actually supporting McCain??

Sweden is in majority behind Obama, Germans, if they were voting, would be 80% behind Obama and in France, out of our deliciously arrogant Frenchmen, 93% would readily vote for Obama! It is clear whom the world wants, now we just have to wait and see who America wants. As much as it is looking promising, they have disappointed us before, so I will wait and pop my Champagne when I am absolutely sure.

The main discussion topic around town (read: Facebook) is where to watch the election. It looks like Virgo and I will head over to SQB's, but just in case we don't manage, we're finally, as we speak, having our DSTV installed in the house. Another good option is to take in the moment with Americans in Accra at Headlines down the road from me in Labone.

What are your "valvaka" (that's Swedish for Election watch) plans? Whatever you decide to do, I hope I and you can meet dawn with a great new President elected. A President who stands for change, a change desperately needed in America. I hope and pray that two mavericks will not be selected, especially as I fear the main maverick may not survive the tough job of leading the US through a credit crunch and all else which comes with leading the world's most influential nation. If he were not to survive, it would mean him giving way to the most ridiculous maverick political history has seen in my lifetime; a maverick who makes a drunk Jeltsin seem the most respectable politician!

Ah well, in just a few hours we shall know. Enjoy the Valvaka!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that “most”, or I should say many European countries seem to favour Obama.
My ‘valvaka’ will be held on my own in my sister’s flat in Brussels, as my sister will be going to bed earlier. Perhaps I will have contact via Skype with my brother in Berlin through out the night. I will, anyhow, be flipping the remote control between BBC and CNN.
Enjoy your ‘valvaka’.
N

Maya Mame said...

Did you notice the difference in entertainment value between BBC and CNN? While CNN kept us glue, it was as if BBC were at a wake-keeping! So boring!

But none of that matters now that Obama has won!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails